Saturday, May 5, 2007

5. The girl with straight As and a bit of luck?

She had impeccable academic results and had studied in a pedigree premier secondary school and junior college. Apparently I was the only veterinary surgeon to ask her for an interview when she phoned. The others had either busy phone lines or simply took down her name and never called her.

She took out all her certificates and put them on the consultation table as she sat across me for an interview as a veterinary intern. She said she wanted to study veterinary medicine in a few month's time. This was May 2007. "Will you be going to the United Kingdom to study veterinary medicine in September?" I asked since the Australian course had commenced in February.

But she had not been accepted by any Veterinary University in Australia or the United Kingdom. So I was suspicious as to her intentions to be a veterinarian.

A vertical row of grade "As" from top to bottom demanded my attention as a child in tantrums would do so. It is not everyday I get to meet a student who had aced her examinations. I think there were 8 or 9 As. Anyone would be impressed.

But was she really passionate about being a veterinarian? Young adults nowadays do not know what they want to be. There are too many choices. And if you have so many As in your A-level examination and come from the premier schools, almost all top universities and faculties will accept you.

I read her testimonial from her Junior College teacher to see if she really loved animals. A bland recommendation written by a teacher who had to write so many testimonials, probably was not close to her and who definitely would be highly immune to the yearly crop of creme de la creme students. No mention of any involvement in animal care. Definitely she was not an animal activist.

"Have you read James Herriot books?" I tested her as I do for other prospective interns.

"Who is James Herriot?" she asked.

"He writes books such as 'All Creatures Great and Small'?" I asked. How would this personable lady really be passionate about veterinary medicine if she had not read such famous books?

But her academic excellence has had opened doors to more scholarship interviews than she would wish to attend. A scholarship buffet but which academic dish to choose?



She was honest at the interview. From January to May, she had scholarship offers to go to any university she chose, local or overseas, provided she studies engineering. Her top grades in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and General Paper qualified her to study any Science subject including Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.

"Did you find out how many scholarships the Agriculture Department (AD) would be giving?" I asked her.

"I did not ask," she smiled."But I was told there were many candidates for the interview next week."

"You will have very strong competition for the limited number of veterinary scholarships. I doubt if there will be a handful of offers, maybe 2 scholarships unlike engineering scholarships.

"Recently, from my discussion with foreign university recruitment agents, there is a trend of youths especially girls wanting to study veterinary medicine such that the barrier to entry has been raised very high.

"I was told her that Murdoch University in Perth accepts foreigners as prospects for veterinary medicine if they have have 3 As. Many have been shunted to study Biomedical Science with a prospect of upgrading to study in veterinary medicine the second year if they excel in the first year.

As her father had said, "I pay if you study medicine, not veterinary medicine overseas." The path to become a veterinarian via a father's scholarship was obstructed. But was she really passionate about being a veterinarian?

"I do not agree with your father's views," I said. "If we compare the earning power of an average general practitioner veterinarian to a doctor with the first degree, I think the veterinarian may have higher earning power. However, I cannot substantiate my observation."

But if her father wanted to live his dream to be a doctor in this academic star, I would not be surprised. This girl could read his mind too but she did not want to study medicine to bring glory to the father.

"You can become a human doctor, work and then study veterinary medicine in later years, if you are passionate about it," I cited two examples of two lawyers who are now in Murdoch University studying veterinary medicine as mature students. "In the meantime, prepare yourself for the veterinary scholarship interview. Have you been to the AD's website ?" I asked.

"No," she was frank and honest.
"Preparation is the key to maximise the chances of success for any scholarship interview," I was surprised that she had not done research.

"During the engineering scholarship interviews, there were no questions asked about the subject of study," she briefed me, to my surprise. "The interview was on other topics and how you could carry yourself in the interview."

"Do not assume that this is a blanket approach by all interviewers. The AD gives maybe 2 scholarships and so they would probably have more stringent qualifications."

This girl seemed to be interested in veterinary medicine. I can't blame her for her belated interest as it is a common trait amongst the youths nowadays. There is an explosive number of many choices of study in the Universities all over the world.

She is a "dragon-year girl" and I am impressed with her achievements. During the dragon year (Chinese zodiac), there was a very large number of babies born. The bureaucrats were lamenting about the declining birth rate in 1986 (the tiger year) and for some auspicious reasons, the mothers produced a bumper harvest of "dragon babies" in the dragon year of 1988. So, "dragon babies" had to compete intensely for good primary schools. More competition for top secondary schools and secondary schools as there were more students, excluding the brilliant ones from overseas.

I telephoned my contact to see whether I could get some tips on preparing this dragon girl for the veterinary interview.

"How many scholarships will AD give this year?" I asked my contact.

"I don't know," my networker said.

"How about last year?" I asked.
"Maybe 4-5 scholarships."

"How to prepare for the interview?" I asked my contact. "I have somebody who will be going for the interview soon."

"Is this person your son?" my contact asked. "A male applicant is highly valued as the vast majority of the applicants are females."

"No, I doubt that my son could put a foot at the door of the interviewers! It is a girl who has straight As."

Besides academic excellence, applicants for veterinary studies seem to be more good looking and not just computer nerds. Good looks do give you a leg up during any job interviews. And some of the lady veterinarians are very good looking.

I remember this episode --- One pet shop girl was fond of reminding me that the veterinarian at a particular veterinary surgery was a Miss Singapore-Universe.

"I thought she was working at another place," I said. "No, she is at this place." I had not met her but a top achievement in any field is impressive.

Straight As may not be sufficient for this girl. A limited number of offers and the presumed preference for male applicants are factors against her as there would be others with many As. Maybe not straight As. There may be a girl with the backgrounds or testimonials from veterinarians or animal shelters testifying their involvement in veterinary or animal work. These hands-on records proved passion, speaking louder than words.

But this dragon girl had zero involvement in animals except for a pet at home.

"Why are male applicants in demand?" the girl with the straight As was perplexed. "Why discriminate against females?"

She did not ask the second question.

"The AD does regulatory veterinary medicine to ensure that the country receives a healthy, continual and safe food supply from other countries. So the vets have to go to inspect the farms, abattoirs and factories involved in the production of food animals being exported here."

"Why are male veterinarians preferred?"

It was a good question. I could only speculate, "In certain countries, the farms and slaughter houses are located in not so 'safe' areas for the AD lady vet going alone to inspect the animals. There may be nuts hanging around. So a male vet may be more suitable for such types of work. I presume there is a predominant number of female vets now.

"In short, the lady vet may be .... (unprintable word to mean to suffer bodily harm). I was beating around the bush but I had to be blunt as youths of today are much more sophisticated.

"In any case, be prepared for the interview if you really want to be a veterinarian. At the engineering interviews, the interviewers ask questions not related to engineering. They just want to see how you respond to the interviews.

"But do not take for granted that the AD interviews will be a breeze. In your engineering interviews, the course of study is open. It is not specific such as a chemical engineering interview. So the interviewers asked general questions knowing full well you do not have the engineering background from your application forms about your parental employment.

"There is another alternative since you do not get a father's scholarship. Do research on the educational loans available if you are really passionate about veterinary medicine. You may be surprised that you can achieve your dream if you don't get the scholarship.

"But make sure you are really passionate in that you want to be a veterinarian because it costs around S$300,000to study 5 years of veterinary medicine and surgery in Australia and much more in Britain.

"If your father supports you, more than a quarter of a million dollars is wiped out from your father's retirement savings. Most retirees can't afford to lose that amount of money. At least, with the scholarship, your parents get to enjoy at least S$300,000 dollars during their golden years. It is a heavy responsibility and you must be committed in the event you do get a father's scholarship. The scholarship used to bond me to work for 8 years with the Department.

"The bond is now 6 years," she said.
"6 years seem to be more humane," I said.

This girl seemed to be a decisive one. She seemed to be a planner as she will be taking her driving test soon. Many young adults do not see driving licences as important. Now, she must know how to prepare for her scholarship interview. I doubt it would not be handed to her on a silver platter although I might be mistaken. Straight As open doors everywhere.

"All interviewees will say they are passionate about veterinary medicine," I said. "But do you have a portfolio of past work or photographs as evidence?"

I hope she would be well prepared for the interview. As an example, I was under some impression that all her cohort use notebooks during this interview today. After all, she was in a premier junior college.

"Do you have a notebook?" I asked during the interview.
She said, "Yes."

There was a serious miscommunication. By "notebook", I meant a laptop. A portable computer. She did take out a small hardcover black diary during her interview. As she did not say anything, I did not connect that little black diary as her "notebook" till much later in the day.

I hope she would not make such a blunder during the scholarship interview. And that she aced her interview. If she did not get the scholarship, "all bets are off," I referred to her wish to be a veterinary intern for the next few months. She laughed.

I was using this betting term from my 8 years as a thoroughbred horse veterinarian at a Turf Club. I meant there would be no point in her being a veterinary intern if she would not be studying veterinary medicine. I don't want to waste my time mentoring any youth who has no dreams of being a veterinarian. Passion is not as important as top grades in reality.

She has qualified for the interview. I have a feeling she would ace the interview and get the scholarship. So, the odds are high. I would not place any bet myself. Any takers?

Somehow, she seemed to be the type of girl who would get into veterinary medicine with or without the scholarship from the father or the government. Still the girl with the straight As must prepare for the academic battle to win.

The strongest contender will be the male applicant. If only 2 scholarships were offered as during my time some 40 years ago, then it would be very challenging for her as definitely one male would be chosen. Her weakness was a small one --- insignificant hands-on animal working background. But straight As open doors everywhere. A personable girl able to carry on conversations with adults. I have no illusion that straight As will open the door to her dream of being a veterinarian on her own merits, initiative and sweat. What she needs is a bit of luck?

No comments: